1 May 2006

More Sunshine and a New Scarecrow


Hello Again

All the sunshine this week has made me go down to the lottie and try to sort out the weeds. I tried to go down this morning but the weather was so bad I had to come back very early. But anyway less of the weather for today and more about the lottie of this week

Firstly the daffs are now coming to an end so I am slowly replacing them with pansies and petunias. All mixed colours and varieties. Can't stand all one colour but I don't like clashes either so no red and pink together for me at the same time.

When my Mom and Dad came back from Portmadoc, they brought me a new scarecrow and so I put it in the flower bed of the Lottie. I hope you all like him. The older one is with the Turnips and Radishes.

Anyway the lottie is doing well considering we are about 6 weeks behind last year. This year I thought I would try to have plug plants alongside home grown ones to see which fair better in my soil. I am only doing this with the Cauliflowers, Cabbage and Brussels. Everything else is going to be home grown or self seeded from last year. In some respects I hope we are not as successful as last year. Why I hear you all cry?

Well last year every seed we planted came up and produced something. So there is the hubby finding room for 300 tomato plants, 25 courgette and marrow plants, 100 broad bean plants ,as well as 10 ranks of spuds, runner beans, peas, sweetcorn, turnips 300 lettuces 300 carrots and parsnips. Our plot is only 115 feet by 20 feet. Not much room for all that lot.

We had been working on a 75% germination rate and we had 100%. So this year we are planting less to start off with but the germination rate is not even 75% this year so that is one reason we are trying plug plants alongside our own attempts.


Anyway on the right is what the lottie looked like last week on the one good day with enough sunshine to do some work. I don't do raised beds yet but am considering them for next year. You can also see the old scarecrow in the foreground as well. They make a lovely pair. In my next post I will put some photos of one of the 1st bumble bees I have seen this year.

Happy digging





No comments: